Company Celebrates a Year of Progress with New Partnerships and Recognition
GRAND RAPIDS, MI, December 28, 2018 – Today, Steelcase Inc. (NYSE: SCS) celebrates its global sustainability performance with the release of its 2018 Corporate Sustainability Report. The report highlights the qualitative results of the company’s commitment to being a responsible corporate citizen in partnership with customers, dealers, suppliers and community partners. This year, Steelcase partnered with multiple local and global organizations to give back to the community, made progress in reducing its global environmental footprint and received recognition for its commitment to diversity and inclusion throughout the organization.
“Steelcase was founded on a set of values that continue to guide our strategic choices, anchor innovation and inform the way we conduct our business,” said Jim Keane, president and chief executive officer of Steelcase. “We’re reminded every day that the work we do and the decisions we make directly impact our customers, employees and shareholders, and we take seriously the opportunity to leverage our scale and resources for positive, sustainable change.”
Specific highlights from the 2018 report include:
- Partnering with The Home Depot: Together, in phase one of a new collaboration, Steelcase, Dekalb Office – an authorized Steelcase dealer – and The Home Depot diverted 290 metric tons of furniture from landfills through reuse, recycling and charitable donation.
- Donations to Public Thread: Since March 2018, Steelcase has donated 1,000 pounds of unusable scrap fabric to Public Thread, an organization that designs and makes small batches of sewn products from repurposed and upcycled textiles.
- Investing in the Community: Steelcase worked with local partners to secure donations of furniture, décor, paint and skilled labor for seven unique bedroom redesigns for The Bridge at Arbor Circle, a safe shelter for young people facing homelessness or considering running away.
- Commitment to Volunteering: Steelcase employees around the world continued to serve others by volunteering 92,000 hours since 2015.
- Progress toward Environmental Goals: Steelcase remained focused on reducing its global environmental footprint. Since the 2010 baseline, Steelcase has reduced:
- VOC emissions by 82 percent
- Water use by 11 percent
- Energy use by 21 percent
Over the last year, Steelcase’s achievements were recognized by leading organizations. Honors include:
- recognition as a Winning “W” Company by 2020 Women on Boards, a national campaign to increase the percentage of women on U.S. company boards to 20 percent or greater by the year 2020 for the seventh year in a row.
- a perfect 100 score in all categories on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index for the fourth year in a row.
- a top 30 position as one of the largest 100% Green Power Users in the U.S., according to the EPA’s Green Power Partnership.
being named a multinational finalist in the 2018 Circulars Awards, an initiative of the World Economic Forum recognizing leading companies driving progress towards a circular economy.
For more information on the 2018 Steelcase Corporate Sustainability Report, please visit csr.steelcase.com.
About Steelcase Inc. For over 105 years, Steelcase Inc. has helped create great experiences for the world’s leading organizations, across industries. We demonstrate this through our family of brands – including Steelcase®, Coalesse®, Designtex®, PolyVision®, Turnstone®, Smith System®, Orangebox® and AMQ™. Together, they offer a comprehensive portfolio of architecture, furniture and technology products and services designed to unlock human promise and support social, economic and environmental sustainability. We are globally accessible through a network of channels, including over 800 Steelcase dealer locations. Steelcase is a global, industry-leading and publicly traded company with fiscal 2018 revenue of $3.1 billion. www.steelcase.com
About IWE Funiture A Full-Service Office Furniture Management Company Servicing the U.S. and Latin America. Ask one of our representative about the full line of Steelcase office furniture.